Classification: Full-time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Vice President
Summary: The senior consultant is responsible for researching, analyzing, and writing reports and strategy documents related to local, state, and national policy issues; planning and facilitating meetings; selling and managing projects, and more.
Multiple positions are available in several content areas. We are currently seeking individuals with expertise in workforce development, community and economic development, public finance, education, and/or health policy topics.
- Conduct, translate, and analyze public policy research, primarily in content areas related to community and economic development, public finance, education, and/or health policy
- Develop research reports, strategy documents, grant applications, and other client deliverables
- Plan and facilitate meetings, focus groups, and events
- Cultivate new business by identifying project opportunities and prospective clients, meeting with prospects and clients, and writing proposals
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, including directing the scope of work, collaborating with team members to complete project tasks, and managing client expectations—resulting in high-quality project deliverables completed on time and on budget
Characteristics of High Performance
- Collaborates with staff and clients in a fast-paced office with diverse people and projects
- Demonstrates initiative, critical thinking, and creativity to generate ideas for research questions, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution utilizing sound judgment
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Takes responsibility to manage workload effectively while engaged in multiple projects concurrently
- A bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of work experience and education; a master’s degree in public policy, political science, or a related field is preferred
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience is required
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data
- Demonstrated experience performing comparable duties
- Knowledge of and interest in workforce development, community and economic development, public finance, education, and/or health policy topics
- Strong competency using Microsoft Office suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; experience with other software (e.g., Tableau, SPSS, R, IMPLAN, REMI, etc.) is useful, but not required
Work is primarily performed in an indoor, environmentally controlled office setting with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer, on the telephone, sitting, or standing. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions, contact with the public and clients, performance of repetitive tasks, and requires strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond normal working hours, Public Sector Consultants (PSC) strives for staff to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for annual company bonus
- Competitive medical, dental, life, and disability insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid sick and vacation leave granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
- Parking pass for downtown Lansing or Smart Commute incentive
To Apply for this Position
Submit a cover letter including salary requirements, resume, and writing sample by clicking on “Apply” below. All materials must be submitted as PDF or Word documents. Applications must be submitted by September 25, 2017.
If you have trouble with the upload page or have questions about the position, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Firm
Public Sector Consultants is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Why Join Our Team?
PSCers take great pride in the fact that we write well, think clearly, and can speak articulately (albeit sometimes a little too long) about all kinds of topics. We are scholars and athletes, number crunchers and poets, big thinkers and meticulous doers, fierce introverts and charismatic extroverts. While we all share an unwavering commitment to excellence, we also celebrate—and enjoy kidding each other about—our eccentricities. PSC is that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal—making a difference for our clients and the people we serve.
At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self-expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem-solving approaches. We encourage openness and inclusivity, and invite any dedicated and hardworking person who commits to our mission, vision, and values to explore joining our team.
Want to know more? Hear from our staff why PSC is a great place to work here.
It is the policy of Public Sector Consultants to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the needs of PSC and the specific job requirements as stated in the job description. In addition, PSC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.